Activating State Audiences to Help Close the Digital Divide
Encourage state decisionmakers to use federal broadband funding for projects that will connect all Americans to reliable high-speed internet.
In 2021, President Biden signed the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, providing America with $65 billion in broadband infrastructure funding to close the digital divide. As additional broadband funding flows into states each year, the telecommunications industry is presented with a critical opportunity to ensure state leaders make the right investments. The Internet & Television Association (NCTA) needed to position their grassroots arm – Explore Beyond – in the national connectivity conversation as an organization committed to promoting the smart distribution of this federal broadband funding.
Launch a unique campaign that educates, engages and activates state-specific audiences.
Adfero helped NCTA leverage the momentum of Explore Beyond’s efforts and inspire action through the creation of the Connectivity Counts brand extension campaign.
To establish Connectivity Counts, Adfero developed a unique sub-brand look and feel, along with a detailed messaging framework, to guide audiences from their first introduction to the campaign and Explore Beyond, to ultimately making their voice heard in support of smart broadband infrastructure.
To promote Connectivity Counts, Adfero:
- Proposed and implemented a campaign hub featuring an interactive map hosting state-specific messaging and calls for action
- Designed unique creative assets and crafted compelling copy to accompany promotion content
- Launched and regularly optimized social, digital and non-digital advertising
- Developed and published an industry toolkit containing social assets, brand guidelines, talking points and FAQs to encourage third-party validators and member companies to join the movement
Successfully elevated NCTA in the broadband infrastructure conversation and engaged a nationwide audience of advocates.
Since the launch of Connectivity Counts in 2023, NCTA has engaged a national audience of over 30,000 consumers to learn about and support programs that will strengthen opportunities for all Americans to learn, work and connect through high-speed broadband internet connection.
Through paid advertising campaigns on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn, NCTA served over 15 million impressions, driving more than 32,000 clicks to the Connectivity Counts campaign hub and state-specific campaign pages and adding more than 15,000 new followers across Explore Beyond’s social channels in the first seven months of the campaign.
With the distribution of funds ongoing, Connectivity Counts continues to:
- Educate consumers on the available funding and the path to closing the digital divide
- Engage consumers to follow and join the Explore Beyond network
- Drive consumers to take action to reach key decisionmakers
Target states for the Connectivity Counts campaign have reflected NCTA priorities in their plans for broadband funding allocation. Notably, using this funding to prioritize connecting unserved Americans and investing in adoption and training programs that will connect residents to the opportunities high-speed internet connection brings.